Honda dealership paint job?

fgraciano1980

keepin' it clean!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm looking into painting my Civic with the original factory paint color, Granada Black Pearl. I've had some personal horrific experiences with body shops before (i wont go into detail) and I want opinions on taking my car to a Honda dealer to get repainted.

Has anybody had their car painted at a Honda dealer before that can shed some light on the results? How good is their prep work? Anyone know how many gallons of primer, paint and clearcoat they use?

I figure I would get a better job at a dealer since these guys are certified to work on Hondas and know them inside and out.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
all i can say is that it is not going to be cheap....

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yea... you may get a good job.. but they WILL rip you off.... I'll be completely honest with you.. ANYTHING that you buy at a dealership is f**king expensive as hell...

x007den

New User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
nothing special about a honda's paint. anyone with the proper skill should be able to do a great job and probably charge cheaper

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
since you are kinda willing to spring to pay a lot of money to go to honda, let me let you in on a secret.

Come up here to nor cal. Earl Scheib Paint and body in Concord. I had my 94 accord painted there "black pearl" (car was originally granada black pearl) and it looks BEAUTIFUL, and only cost me $440 with body work and shaved emblems. I got a 6 year warranty on it too.

I know you got earl schieb down there too but i dont know the quality of their work.

kellog

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if i recal, dont most car dealer shops in general own or go to a body shop near by to get stuff like this fixed?!?!

so i guess if you could find the body shop they go to and just go to the shop might be cheaper instead of the dealer trying to make a lil money.

fgraciano1980

keepin' it clean!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I live in Southern California, so can anyone recommend some good quality paint/body shops? I not looking for major custom work, just to shave off my side moldings, fill them in and repaint my car to it’s OEM color.

I know the better the shop the more you pay, but I’m not looking for “cheap” work or a shop that will half ass and cut corners…you get what you pay for (unless of course you get hook ups!)

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dealership paint jobs will be comparable to factory paint jobs.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
kellog said:
if i recal, dont most car dealer shops in general own or go to a body shop near by to get stuff like this fixed?!?!

so i guess if you could find the body shop they go to and just go to the shop might be cheaper instead of the dealer trying to make a lil money.
This is what they do at my local dealership. A guy who does auto painting comes in and repaints (mostly) bumpers and stuff. I've seen him painting and maybe it explains my shitty paint job on my front bumper. There are drips. I drove by Honda the other week and there he is, the rear of an Accord masked off, spraying silver paint on it.... .OUTSIDE in the breeze. I got the hell out of there. My milano red car with silver overspray = bad.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
no honda dealership i know of actually does their own paint job and i work for a dealer and can verify we don't, just as nofx mentioned we have someone come around and paint our s**t, plus we have a body shop located directly behind us to do our work, even though they suck severe ass.