Blowing under dash #1 fuse

seamusrowan

5+ Year Member
I have searched and searched for a bloody diagram and I maybe found it, but I want to be sure. My #1 fuse keeps blowing. I think the only thing on that fuse are the ignition coils, but I have a hard time believing that. I did just change the EGR and put an OEM one in. After, everything was great for about 20 miles, and then on my way home from work, she started misfiring like mad and eventually just died. Now I can get her to crank, but no start until I put a new fuse in. Then she'll start and run like s**t and the fuse blows again. I feel like I'm missing something obvious. I've checked all the connections. Any suggestions on where to look? I really hate this car right now.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
#1 fuse most definitely is the primary fuse so you should look at teh coils and see if one had any swelling or arcing due to a failed coil casing. Generally this is due to high impedence which creates a lot of extra heat that ultimately swells the coil assembly.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
is the CEL on? I would expect a code if there's a bad coil.

Can test each coil using a multimeter.
They should all have similar resistance. if there is a problem, the one that is way off, would be the culprit...

Also check the wiring for shorts, specifically the black/white wire, as it's the power source.

seamusrowan

5+ Year Member
Thanks. I'm going to go talk with her once my coffee hits. I must have done something when I was looking for the last issue that lead to me putting in a new EGR. There were a ton of codes, but all just misfire codes. The car won't run long enough now to throw any. The coils were fine when I tested them a few weeks ago, but they are quite old.

seamusrowan

5+ Year Member
#1 fuse most definitely is the primary fuse so you should look at teh coils and see if one had any swelling or arcing due to a failed coil casing. Generally this is due to high impedence which creates a lot of extra heat that ultimately swells the coil assembly.
View attachment 31786
Thanks. That's the diagram I saw. It just seemed too simple to be the truth. Lol. I'm still learning when it comes to electrical systems, so if I immediately understand what I'm seeing I figure it can't be real.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Thanks. That's the diagram I saw. It just seemed too simple to be the truth. Lol. I'm still learning when it comes to electrical systems, so if I immediately understand what I'm seeing I figure it can't be real.
Sometimes it's a lot simpler than it looks. The diagrams don't lie (they shouldnt LOL) :D But this is what we are here for. Glad you got it worked out and hope to see more posts about the Civic