Fuel Pump Assembly

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Ive use a number of them from both Oriellys and Advance. OE equivalent replacements have worked just fine for me.

Last edited:

Glogo

If you replaced the fuel pump assembly did you find getting the plastic ring off the main assembly an issue or did you just work at it with screwdriver and hammer?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
If you replaced the fuel pump assembly did you find getting the plastic ring off the main assembly an issue or did you just work at it with screwdriver and hammer?
They gaskets (this is what you are referring to I assume) tend to be hard and brittle by the time I was serving them. Always replaced them regardless. Use plastic pry bars to avoid damaging the mating surface of the tank.

Glogo

I was referring to the fastener that unscrews to reveal the gasket. Honda has a proprietary tool for removing this ring but most attempts I've seen are tapping a screwdriver with a hammer counterclockwise

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I was referring to the fastener that unscrews to reveal the gasket. Honda has a proprietary tool for removing this ring but most attempts I've seen are tapping a screwdriver with a hammer counterclockwise
You can also use a rubber mallet and tap along the outer edge. Basically the same thing. Its to get the gasket to break look as it seals up air tight against the plastic and the tank.

Eventually you will hear a "crack" as the air seal breaks. You can work it by hand then. It should unscrew once you have broken the seal. A lot of techs will crank hard as s**t on the cap to tighten it down against the gasket.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
I've always used the hammer and flat head method, and have never had a failure.
I always replace the locking ring, as they're usually rusty, and it's cheap insurance.