1994 Civic stock - turboing

natsirt

Hi, I have a D15B7 engine on my 1994 civic, all stock.

It has around 150k miles on it, 257k kms (cuz its in canada).

I was wondering if there are any turbo kits/ turbos that I can put on.

I also want to change my air intake and exhaust system. But Im a total noob to this, so any help is great.

Especially explanations on how things work (treat me like a dumb person) cuz I need every detail

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you dont need to get an intake if you plan on turboing your car since you'll need new piping anyways so you can just save the money from that.

turboing a motor is simple but you gotta pay attention to every part or it'll just hurt your motor
i say do some hard research and work hard on saving money to put towards a nice kit or parts to make your own kit

once you've done your research and have a budget, pm me and i'll help you throughout the build with what i can

civic92si

Gina my Lady in red
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you dont need to get an intake if you plan on turboing your car since you'll need new piping anyways so you can just save the money from that.

turboing a motor is simple but you gotta pay attention to every part or it'll just hurt your motor
i say do some hard research and work hard on saving money to put towards a nice kit or parts to make your own kit

once you've done your research and have a budget, pm me and i'll help you throughout the build with what i can
clear stated. :word:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I can vouch for 2slo4u, he has helped me numerous times and quickly answered any questions.. like today for instance haha.

Essentially like he said, set a budget, but more importantly set a power goal. I went WAY over budget with my setup, but I also ran/running into numerous problems. But... I've right where I want to be with my power goal haha.

natsirt

Thanks for the reply guys!and especially to your offer for help 2slo

well, I was thinking if I could just change parts little by little.... I just feel that my car lacks power, especially when going uphill and thought turbo-ing would help. My friends told me that theres 2 ways, getting a bigger/ more powerful engine, or try to turbo it. I thought that turboing would have a smaller increase in gas usage rather than using a bigger engine....

I just actually want to start on mods that increase power that doesnt increase gas usage (if thats possible, I dont know)

Right now, I'm only planning to allocate around 2k to start.... and working on the car right now is low priority since I have to pay for other stuff first. But I just want to plan ahead to start finding where I can get parts and such.

Also, my friend mentioned that my trans will not be able to take much of a power increase, its an auto trans...
Is it possible to change my auto trans to tiptronic?

civic92si

Gina my Lady in red
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
uhhh...turboing the car doesnt mean you save gas, it depend on the tuning, and as far as i know it burns better and where i live (CA) i have to use 91 only. if you want better gas mileage just get a LS or something where it can help. Turboing a car can cause a ton of headache and you have to trouble shoot alot if you are a newb...with 2k, you can put peice together and get a turbo kit, but a friendly reminder is that a AEM a/f is around 300 bucks and tuning running approx 100 per hour. so to save headache get a LS better. cheaper too.. GSR cost more but more power. that just my 2cent.

LS:
MPG (city) 22-24
MPG (highway) 29-30

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
uhm, whats an LS? Limited Slip?? o___o?
LS = Acura Integra LS-B18B1 motor- Non-vtec-high torque output due to its lower compression

Comparison on valve covers..dont worry about the paint or detail (my car)

LS

GSR/B16

natsirt

Well, I found a place that would do an engine swap for $1000 + tax, uses the B18A engine. They said that all wiring, ECU etc etc (everything that has to do with it Im guessing) are done by them too....is it worth it?

civic92si

Gina my Lady in red
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes, i recommend that because if you go turbo and your a newb, you can easily blow your motor. and as far as the B18A for an LS swap with labor, 1k sound fair.

ECU, wiring, axle, motor mounts, the motor itself! =0 good deal. but as for me. it will be like 200 bucks for the motor and i do the swap myself. hehe =)

1FastEX1994

^ROFLcopter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sorry for the thread jack, but when turbo-ing a car, is it absolutely necissary to use an engine management system?

my friend has a tiburon turbo running a stock ECU without a tune, and his runs great, thoughts?

civic92si

Gina my Lady in red
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sorry for the thread jack, but when turbo-ing a car, is it absolutely necissary to use an engine management system?

my friend has a tiburon turbo running a stock ECU without a tune, and his runs great, thoughts?

he cannot run turbo with a missing link or a engine management system. or chip ECU. STOCK Map sensor doesnt RECONIZE boost..unless its chipped ECU.

natsirt

so, if I would want to start with an NA build...whats the first thing I can do for around 500 bucks? If I understand right, its mainly using vacuum to draw in more air and fuel into the cylinders....so does this mean I should get an intake that allows high input of air? and a better header for higher exhaust flow?

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
intake, intake manifold, header, nice size exhaust

wont give you crazy amount of hp but its a start..

natsirt

im still kinda doubting about doing anything to my car though... since I only got it for 800 bucks and its automatic trans

changing intake, intake mani, headers and exhaust.... it doesnt make my car burn through fuel faster right?

it just makes it more efficient thus gaining it more power?

Also, my friend told me it would cause me problems if it rains if I get a cold air intake....is it true?

Was planning to get this as an intake http://www.clubcivic.com/store/fujita-5-short-ram-intake-sr-1902_p2079.html

and this http://www.clubcivic.com/store/yonaka-catback-exhaust-ymcb001_p3778.html for exhaust because it seemed cheap.

this for headers http://www.clubcivic.com/store/dc-sports-stainless-steel-headers-hhs5013_p1967.html

and this for intake mani, http://www.clubcivic.com/store/edelbrock-performer-x-intake-manifold-4754_p1584.html

tho i wanna get the polished one....but itll be +200... sigh

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you should be able to get away with your oem intake manifold for a long time actually.
as for an intake, just buy an ebay one, if you want, just get another filter..k&n is preferred by many and i know would be recommended
for an exhaust..the cheapest route would be to buy a muffler that you like and get some custom piping made..keep in mind that some shops will not touch the cat. converter and will only make the piping from the cat to the muffler, some shops just will do what you say and if you have your own cat. or want to run cat-less, will do it from the header
as for a header, unless you expect to make crazy amount of horse power, any will do..i have used eBay headers in the past and they held up fine,
some things on builds there is no use buying parts that cost a lot of money, sometimes its just buying the name that is what people care about..when you start getting to doing internal work is where the best brand name stuff counts..save all the money you can now and save for some internals, thats where the real power will come from, that and a good tune.

cold air intakes draw colder air for the piping and filter are longer and usually routed away from the heat of the motor/engine bay..usually down by your bumper..if you wanted to run a cold air intake make sure to purchase a by-pass valve that goes between the two pipings, it'll help keep out water..but a short ram intake will be fine

j3wman

Professional
if ur on a budget just get a turbo kit for it and a d16y8 head and do a mini me swap and turbo it. cheap thrills =D

natsirt

i see, thanks! I'm gonna go around and see where I can get cheaper prices for parts. I already found a friend thats willing to help me change the parts cuz he finds it fun.

Oh one thing he said though was that, I shouldn't really get a larger header because it might have a negative effect from being too high-flow. (not really sure what he was saying). What do you ppl think?

He recommends just doing intake, intake mani, exhaust.... and he said that its ok to have the intake as long as it doesnt flood. rain should be ok since we have light rain here. dont know what will happen if it snows though