Any ideas on aftermarket steering wheels with air bag?

kenji51590

Hello I was looking into better security for my car.. so I thought having a removeable aftermarket steering wheel would really help out. I could just stick it in the back trunk or bring it inside my apt. when I get home. Anyone have any ideas of what types / brands are trusted for removeable steering wheels w/ airbag? I know there's more to it than just the steering wheel so maybe someone has an entire kit in mind? I appreciate your thoughts on this.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not a good idea and not something I have ever heard of. Static electricity could set the airbag off and that is abundant with your house carpet and even your trunk carpet. That is just a huge accident waiting to happen. I know I wouldn't like to be carrying around a loaded airbag wheel all the time. Pretty dangerous.

leothelion

d:p
Registered VIP
I have not seen many, if any, aftermarket steering wheels with airbags. its way to much work and money to get such a device certified by the DOT, i doubt you will find one.

Now if you want a aftermarket steering wheel i would go with mono, sparco, if you want really nice, but the ebay wheels will work fine and still look good, for a hub i would suggest getting NRG. I haven't tried an ebay hub or quick release so i can't comment on them.

kenji51590

I have not seen many, if any, aftermarket steering wheels with airbags. its way to much work and money to get such a device certified by the DOT, i doubt you will find one.

Now if you want a aftermarket steering wheel i would go with mono, sparco, if you want really nice, but the ebay wheels will work fine and still look good, for a hub i would suggest getting NRG. I haven't tried an ebay hub or quick release so i can't comment on them.
Ah I see, but then if I were to get into an accident how will my chest / head be protected? I think airbags are crucial for safety. I might just stick with stock if safety becomes an issue.

leothelion

d:p
Registered VIP
Ah I see, but then if I were to get into an accident how will my chest / head be protected? I think airbags are crucial for safety. I might just stick with stock if safety becomes an issue.
yeah, your only option for a different steering wheel with srs is the oem momo one. if you can find one its going to cost you about $300, like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-CL1-EK9-Honda-TYPE-R-Euro-R-MOMO-SRS-Steering-Wheel-/250880924983?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1998%7CModel%3ACivic&hash=item3a69ab1d37#ht_2762wt_1233

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
To my knowledge, an aftermarket removable wheel w/airbag does not exist.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There is no such thing, an airbag is a sensitive device. If you were removing the entire thing a couple of times a day, think of the risk that it would eventually blow up in your arms removing it. If you're that concerned about it install a fuel cut off switch.