Are rebuilt engines as reliable as factory?

dragon2953

5+ Year Member
Okay, I have 91 Civic that I'm going to have to eventually get a new engine for because it burns about a 4 quarts a week as my daily driver. I'm looking for reliability and longevity, and my question is will a rebuilt engine be just as strong as a factory engine?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nope

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
time for an upgrade...

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a b16a.
a rebuilt motor might get u that far, but (notice the but) they are rarely (notice the rarely) close to as reliable as factory. especially with as many shady builders there are out there that think they know what they are doing when they dont..

i guess it all depends on who does the rebuild, but u are better off with fatory.

just kinda like have u ever noticed how factory paint is usually always better than anything aftermarket and that factory turboed cars are way more reliable than aftermarket turboed cars...
ya it has something to do with the same lines as the engines..
theyre just better...

psychotic_civic

yep...i rebuild my own stuff and it is EXPENSIVE doing it on my own because I know I do it right. By the time you machine the block, balance the crank, rods and pistons, buy all the gaskets and bearings, clean head and replace valves(if necessary), clean injectors, replace all fluids and all that good stuff, you could buy a JDM B16 swap and replace oil and water pump along with timing belt and be good to go

dragon2953

5+ Year Member
a b16a.
a rebuilt motor might get u that far, but (notice the but) they are rarely (notice the rarely) close to as reliable as factory. especially with as many shady builders there are out there that think they know what they are doing when they dont..

i guess it all depends on who does the rebuild, but u are better off with fatory.

just kinda like have u ever noticed how factory paint is usually always better than anything aftermarket and that factory turboed cars are way more reliable than aftermarket turboed cars...
ya it has something to do with the same lines as the engines..
theyre just better...
I agree, a mechanic will never match the accuracy in engineering from the factory. So is it my best bet to find a v-tec engine with low mileage from a junk yard?

Last edited by a moderator:

dragon2953

5+ Year Member
yep...i rebuild my own stuff and it is EXPENSIVE doing it on my own because I know I do it right. By the time you machine the block, balance the crank, rods and pistons, buy all the gaskets and bearings, clean head and replace valves(if necessary), clean injectors, replace all fluids and all that good stuff, you could buy a JDM B16 swap and replace oil and water pump along with timing belt and be good to go
Okay, maybe a stupid question but JDM is a company that deals in factory engines that haven't been rebuilt right?

thanks

dragon2953

5+ Year Member
What JDM company? There's more than one company that sells JDM engines.
Ahhhh, I'm a rookie man, sorry, JDM is an abbreviation for Japanese Domestic Market right? I thought it was a specific company. Can you recommend a reputable company that sells low mileage JDM engines?

thanks

apekd

-----Distracted you, huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ugh, not ANOTHER B16! lol :roll:

A rebuilt engine will last you a while. Mind you that you can rebuild an engine for 400$ and it can last you another 100K or more. Your looking for an upgrade in power, I would say get a D16Y8 and rebuild it. And just to keep the oiling system on track so your not the 5% that has bearing failure, swap the crank for a 88-95 D16 (any D16) crank. And port/ shim your oil pump. Other than that there is a TON of aftermarket support for D16Z6/D16Y8's. Most guys will say that just porting the oil pump is enough. But I tend to walk the safer side of the cross walk and get the job done with a tad bit of over kill, thats why I said to swap the crank as well.

Oh yeah. I rebuilt my D16Y8 for a little bit over 130$. ;)

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
it all depends on who rebuilt the motor if that person is highly skilled the motor can last at least 100,000 miles or so