Car won't go into GEAR!

NessasCivic

So my car will go into gear when the car is OFF, but what good does that do me right? When it's started it will NOT go into gear. I try to back it out of the drive way but I can't place it into reverse without it GRINDING!!!! The stick just refuses to go into any other gear, I ain't goin NOWHERE!

What I think it might be is the slave cylinder..idk maybe it needs to be bled,w/e. But will that stop me from putting my car into gear? Or could this possibly be my clutch.

ALSO, forgot to mention, the clutch pedal is all play.It's so flimsey and weak. It offers no response whatsoever. Sure, it will get my car started, but why is it soooo weak???

I'm new here, new to civics, hell new to cars really. I'd appreciate any feedback.

00_Civic_Si

BrokenEM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My car does the same thing.. .sometimes it wont go into 1st gear.

Interested in responces!

1FastEX1994

^ROFLcopter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if it was your slave cylinder, it would stay on the floor when you pushed in your clutch.
maybe master cylinder?

1FastEX1994

^ROFLcopter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
could be your clutch in general.

RonJ

Banned
I think you have both a clutch hydraulic system problem and a transmission or linkage problem.

stateofjustin

Yup... sounds like a good one. The hydraulic one is pretty easy to diagnose though... at least the MC and SC issue anyway. Have someone press the pedal while you watch from under the hood. If you pull the dust boot off the release fork where it goes into the transmission, you may be able with a flashlight and small mirror to take a peek in the bell housing, and to listen for unusual noise, but not much else.

It is normal to have a small grind or clunk entering reverse on an old transmission. You may also find it difficult to get into gear at times, all you need to do is go back to neutral, release the clutch, and depress it again and you should be able to select a gear then. You may get grinds trying to shift fast, or clunks when the gear level is put in the next gear if you have a lot of miles on your synchros.

Your problem doesn't sounds like those.

juanca_

5+ Year Member
This happened to me and all i had to do was add more fluid for the clutch. Try that before going crazy and buying and changing things that arent broken.