Changing the Rpms?

96Honda

Hey guys so I just did a valve adjustment, my vtec actually kicks hard now haha i have a d15b,

Now my question is, when i hit vtec which is at 5500 RPM, in 1st gear, when i shift to second by rights i should have the rpm to still be in vtec, but im not. is it because of my engine? i heard if it was a d16 it would stay higher rpm.

does it have to do with timing or, just something i cant do anything about?

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
So you are saying that even when you stay above 5500rpm when shifting the vtec kicks off? Does it come back on, just delayed?

96Honda

no no what i mean when i am in 1st gear, vtec hits at 55, i redline at 7 then shift to 2nd but when i shift the rpms are below 5500 so then it takes about 5 seconds to get the rpms back up, is it because of my egine orrr? and no i shift fast, thats not the issue.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so your problem is the rpm drop when you're shifting?

Midnight_EG

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
D15's are known to drop out on every single gearchange, and then take an absolute age to get back up to engagement...get a VTEC controller and drop it to 4800 and you'll be fine

96Honda

can you direct me to a site were i can look into the vtec controler? im very interested into changing it to 4800 thanks

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
vtec controllers are not worth the money you'd have to put into it especially if its just a basically stock d series..you can't just hook one up and expect it to work..you have to get a tune as well which could equal out to hundreds of dollars

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
In all respect, it sound like your "problem" is actually just normal, and IMO its not worth changing anything on a stock d-series, like said above.