CX or DX ?

805ER

Whats up, everyone.

I am a newbie here and i will be purchasing A 98 civic hatchback this weekend. There are 2 different civics that i have a choice between. One is a CX and the other is a DX. Both cars have around the same miles and are in pretty much the same condition, except the DX is about $500 more... I plan on doing lots of mods and a motor swap also.
So my question is, it worth the extra money to get the DX, or should i just get the CX?

Thanks for any input.

8050ER...

Jolting

The CX is probably a 5th gen. The DX is a 6th gen. The CX if it is a 5th gen has like 70 hp while the DX has like 106 for base model. Personally I would pick the DX because it is probably a higher year. If you play on keeping stock engine then dx should be faster, if you do a swap it wouldn't matter. It will probably be a pain to do a swap in cali with the Carb or whatever it is.

Edit: Sigh, I didn't realize he did put a year, I skimmed over it. Also didn't realize there was in fact a 6th gen CX. I thought the only models were, DX EX LX HX and SI. So my post = fail.

805ER

The CX is probably a 5th gen. The DX is a 6th gen. The CX if it is a 5th gen has like 70 hp while the DX has like 106 for base model. Personally I would pick the DX because it is probably a higher year. If you play on keeping stock engine then dx should be faster, if you do a swap it wouldn't matter. It will probably be a pain to do a swap in cali with the Carb or whatever it is.
I thought 6th gen was from 96 to 00 ?? and the CX is a 98??

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
96-00 the CX and DX have the same engine. The CX is geared shorter I believe whereas the DX is only geared halfway, lol. Also the CX doesn't have rear speakers or come with a CD player.

Neither have power options.

mitka

5+ Year Member
6th gen CX and DX have the same engine. I have CX HB. It is assembled in Canada and is a strip down version of DX - no trunk cover. Black plastic trunk lip, DX has it painted matched color. I think mirrors are pained on DX as well. Has a/c, power steering. That's all.

IMO it is not worth to spend extra $500 on DX

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
Honda was known to not paint Non-VTEC model mirrors, so the DX and CX should both have black mirrors.
Both were available in gloss and pearl colors, but the DX had the option of black paint and also had a paint-matched roof spoiler. The CX spoiler came in black. The DX came with a cargo cover. I'm pretty sure there are more differences, but I can't remember.

Nebster66

yesSIR-S
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The 96-00 EK Civics are great, and there are several differences...
Several have already been mentioned, but the CX is less equipped but is quite lightweight!
The DX model has more accessories and power... (under the hood, power steering, possibly A/C)

The decision is basically yours... The CX is lightweight and would benefit and be quicker with a future engine swap, OR a DX would gain more power and accessories and would still be a great DD...

805ER

Thanks for the info guys. I am about to drive up to the bay area right now. I will post some pics as soon as i bring her home...

saint1

5+ Year Member
the cx also deosn't have a rear wiper. i have a cx myself n very pleased with it.

805ER

So i went up to oakland today to look at the two different hatches that i was intersted in. Both vehicles were being sold at Honda dealerships. When i spoke with the saleman, they assured me that these civics were in excellent condition.
When i arrived at the dealer, I was very dissapointed on the condition of both rides..I'm bummed "F@#iing salesman" ....I was really hoping to post some picks of my new project, But i guess i will just have to keep searching...