D16 headers question

LanceEK

I have a stock D16. If I bough a set of headers would I be able to keep my Cat converter? I'm pretty new to this, so please be gentle :suprise::what:

CO671

Registered VIP
what year/trim and what kind of engine?
edit: clicked on your 00 Civic and it says to be a DX. For what you want to do, its too much trouble for what its worth, you won't be expecting any power gains anyway only sound.
If you've got a Y7 engine and a Y7 exhaust system you won't be able to keep the stock catalytic converter because it's on the exhaust manifold itself. If you do opt for an aftermarket catalytic converter you'll have to modify your exhaust system to get it welded into your Y7 stock piping, and you will need to modify your secondary/downstream O2 sensor and extend it to reach the modified catalytic converter which is like 2 feet further away.

So:
-New header $100
-New catalytic converter $100
-Weld in catalytic converter to Y7 piping $40
-New O2 extension harness $40

worth it? nahh

LanceEK

So there's not really a point to buy them? How can I get more horse power out of my D16 then?

CO671

Registered VIP
So there's not really a point to buy them? How can I get more horse power out of my D16 then?
Motor swap
Y8 mini-me head swap
Research how to turbo it. I have way too many bookmarks stockpiled to teach you how to turbo.

It's a civic, for civic use, which then relates to economy... it's a gas saving car lol. Just take care of it unless you're for sure going to slap power into it. Do it right the first time.
I love my DX, but the thing I absolutely hate about it is that getting any power out of it is too much work. Also, there is no power in it anyway.... no power windows or locks. :???:

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
they must have been installed by a previous owner or something thing because no dx model has power anything, the hx model has power windows and locks but no moonroof and the ex model has it all

LanceEK

they must have been installed by a previous owner or something thing because no dx model has power anything, the hx model has power windows and locks but no moonroof and the ex model has it all
I know. I installed it with my security system since keys are lame ;)

monstahtron

I'd actually like to piggyback off this thread since its so similar to mine, I have a Y7 and my header/cat has the infamous crack right between cylinders 2 and 3. Anyway this cause me to have a nasty exhaust leak into the cabin whenever I turn my heat/fan on even if I use the air in the cabin. Is there a header/cat that you guys recommend that won't break the bank? I don't mind spending the money to getting this done properly I just want to solve this problem.

CO671

Registered VIP
I'd actually like to piggyback off this thread since its so similar to mine, I have a Y7 and my header/cat has the infamous crack right between cylinders 2 and 3. Anyway this cause me to have a nasty exhaust leak into the cabin whenever I turn my heat/fan on even if I use the air in the cabin. Is there a header/cat that you guys recommend that won't break the bank? I don't mind spending the money to getting this done properly I just want to solve this problem.
Just try getting it welded temporarily and save up for a full system.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can also go the route of a MagnaFlow direct-fit header/cat (#49282). Its a simple bolt-on item and ready for both O2 sensors.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$400, ouch.
I spent 400 total on my header and 2.5" test pipe. Although slow in general, it was a notable improvement over stock. The worth regarding modding a d16 is personal preference. Everyone doesn't need a rocket ship to be happy or enjoy their car more, and If 400 is "ouch" modding cars isnt for you lol

CO671

Registered VIP
I dont see why not? correct me if wrong but stock headers go the same length as aftermarket headers?
I have a y8 header on my y7 exhaust piping,. Y8's have their own catback, y7 are just straight pipe w/ resonater to the muffler.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont see why not? correct me if wrong but stock headers go the same length as aftermarket headers?
I'm not sure what length your referring to. Not all aftermarket headers are the same. Some aftermarket headers are designed to bypass the stock location of the catalytic. I went with the MagnaFlow option because its a high quality simple bolt-on and less time consuming than modifying other options to fit accordingly.

monstahtron

I'm not sure what length your referring to. Not all aftermarket headers are the same. Some aftermarket headers are designed to bypass the stock location of the catalytic. I went with the MagnaFlow option because its a high quality simple bolt-on and less time consuming than modifying other options to fit accordingly.
Damn that thing looks beefy lol. Did you literally just unbolt the original from the head and piping and place this one in or did you do any fabrication to fit it in place? If I can just unbolt the old and put this one in myself then I save myself any installation fees from a muffler shop and that would be sweet. The OEM cat/header costs like 450 brand new so this isn't that bad price wise not to mention it looks way nicer.

Edit: Also I won't have to worry about carb. legality with this in California would I?

Double Edit: Nvm, I found the specific model # cat I would need for my car in California.

CO671

Registered VIP
I spent 400 total on my header and 2.5" test pipe. Although slow in general, it was a notable improvement over stock. The worth regarding modding a d16 is personal preference. Everyone doesn't need a rocket ship to be happy or enjoy their car more, and If 400 is "ouch" modding cars isnt for you lol

$400 for a single exhaust manifold is an ouch imo.
I'd spend $400 for a quality system or consider a turbo manifold and just make a turbo build if I have the cash to play with in that range. :P
Awesome pic, and that manifold does look really nasty with the tuck, beautiful!