D16? Vtec? No Vtec?

Hondaskitzo

5+ Year Member
What up Guys? Im a Noob to Civics Honestly. I got this Civic about 3 months ago and im a little confused about the engine in it. The body says its an EX, but im not sure about the engine. Anyway if anybody can visually tell me what this engine is it would be appreciated.

Ive found other EX engines and they look different from mines because the throttle body is not the same so thats why im wondering if i have the correct engine in my ex.

notice how the throttle bodies are different from my car

I came to this question cus I bought the Intake there for an EX and it said it came with everything needed. well if my car had a throttle body like the 2 above then yes i would not have needed anything extra. but i had to go get a 90 degree elbow pipe and the adapter and a couple extra clamps.

So if my engine is indeed not a EX like its supposed to be, Is it a VTEC or Not? :?:

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check it says somewhere under the radiator hose connection to the head. if thats a d16y7 then no its not vtec and that throttle body is for a y7

Rocky91890

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Take a look at the back of the motor on the head. If it is vtec there will be a piece on the same side as the distributor below the hose line that goes from your valve cover to the intake. it will look like a cylinder conected to another piece. that is the vtec solenoid. you can see it in the last picture you posted, but I cant really tell on your motor due to the black hose being in the way...hope it kinda helps...to make it easier if you dont get a response soon, take a pic of the back side of your motor in the area I was talking of and ill give you a 100% answe

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
That is a Y7 intake you have there... therefore not a VTEC motor (D16Y7). The other pictures with the different throttle bodies you posted, those are Y8 intakes, and the D16Y8 motor has VTEC.

Rocky91890

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes an ex is supposed to have vtec unless the downgraded the engine...did you look on the block like civic209 said or do what I said? that will give you a for sure answer

Hondaskitzo

5+ Year Member
I just looked on the block i couldnt find anything its kinda dark out side but i took some pics of the back like you said here they are.

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
looks like someone replaced your emblems or your motor. either way you were jipped. sux man.

Hondaskitzo

5+ Year Member
Nope no sunroof but everything else on the car is EX just the motor isnt. anyways i think im gonna havfta go down to the loan office today to look at them titles because im almost sure that if it is not the original motor and its listed as an EX on the titles then the mileage on the car is not correct so i may be able to do somthing about it as far as my loan goes

Hondaskitzo

5+ Year Member
Actually there are no badges on my car besides the honda logo but you can see where the EX badge was the glue residue is still there as if it fell off or sombody purposly removed it before selling it

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All EX's had sunroofs, look at your vin and it will say either EJ6 or EJ8 in it, I believe its numbers 4 through 6. If it doesn't say EJ8 it was never an EX

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
X2 man looks like you swashbuckled. IMO it's no the end of the world depending on what you paid for it and how the car runs you will get by. Sucks though. Good luck man.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
like cgpej6 said, just look at the vin. it should start with 1HG, then the next 3 numbers are the chassis code, EJ8 or EJ6. Thats the difference between an EX and a LX/DX

also, the motor code is stamped on the front of the block to the left of the header. that should either say D16Y8 or D16Y7. your motor definitely has a Y7 head, however the motor could be a reverse mini-me and have a Y8 block with a Y7 head

the motor code stamp is right in the middle of this image, kinda hard to see though, but this is where you need to look

Last edited: