How to:EP3 steering wheel into EM2

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Today i picked up a great condition EP3 steering wheel from a local seller, although I had to drive 2 hours to pick up the wheel and 2 hours back i didn't mind. So i will show you how to install one of these puppies in your rides. Well lets get started:
Heres the wheel ready to be installed:

First you MUST unplug your negative battery cable, and wait around 15 mins. To begin with you must remove the 2 star bolts that hold the stock airbag to the stock steering wheel. I used a T25 to get them off:

blurry pic: =(

After removing the two nuts your airbag should easily come off, you might have to wiggle it a little

After this its time to start unpluging stuff :P
Here I have unpluged the black horn conector, its on the left side

Then comes the cruise control conector and housing:

Then comes the airbag plug:

Now we must remove the center nut that holds the steering wheel. It is a 19mm, I used a deep socket and a nice breaker bar, the nut is not that tight so be careful so you won't hit your windshield or something. Also the two screws that are on top of the 19mm nut, they have red/orange paint in them, see the pic, those must be removed. Then pull the steering wheel towards you, while being careful that the wiring goes thru the bottom slot

And here is what is looks like nekid ;)

Now its time to get the EP3 wheel on: when I did this didn't figure out how to conect the cruise control, but I asked Freddy and he told me that you must use your stock em2 cruise control housing and trim the plastic a little bit so it will functional. As you can see the stock em2 cc plug won't plug into the EP3's socket:

Now that you have your EP3 steering wheel on, with the 19 mm center bolt, plug the airbag plug and the horn plug, plugs into the back of the EP3 steering wheel, sorry didn't take a pic of that. It shoud look like so:

My steering wheel was missing the plastic covers, the one that covers the yellow airbag plug and the also the one that covers the airbag nut on the right, I just went to the Honda dealer and they had both pieces for under 20 bucks.
Finally this is what it should look like:

Don't forget to reconect your battery and I ADVISE you to turn in your ignition from your passager side so the bag will not accidently explode in your face! Then just wait untill the SRS light on your dash goes away and your set to go. Do this at your own risk!

Comments/questions/input welcomed.

EMIIspecED

TEAM OCELOT rep.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Awsome How latin: i was jsut about to ask that in a thread, where'd u get the si wheel?

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
nice how-to.. +rep.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
very nice, super clean mod and good how to

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Does cruise control still work?

Very nice BTW

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
can you not use the EP3s CC? and the airbag and all plugs up fine? i was wondering about this.
i wanted to do a JDM DC5 wheel but was toldthe airbag will need rewired? and the CC doesnt work at all.

dj_cronic_metal

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
latin where did you find a steering wheel around phoenix. Do you know if that person has another one or if they have one for a 06-08 civic.

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
can you not use the EP3s CC? and the airbag and all plugs up fine? i was wondering about this.
i wanted to do a JDM DC5 wheel but was toldthe airbag will need rewired? and the CC doesnt work at all.
Yes that is what i have read also. We are not able to use the EP3's CC but we can use the stock CC and modify the CC housing and it will fit. Might not be flush and that wasy it will plug and work
next question would a 06-08 steering wheel mount up?
I don't think so, I found this wheel in Tucson. Contact jdmmexican in azht.net i got off him.

looks real good man :thumbs up

...riiiiiight:roll:
Thanks

dj_cronic_metal

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ha went today to honda dealership. Yea they told me 611 bucks for the steering wheel and airbag. Total garbage if you ask me.