Picked up a b17a1 block (pics)

90_EF9_VTEC

JDM D15B
5+ Year Member
Okay so i picked it up from my buddy for $50 from when he pulled it out off his 92 gs-r. Just needs some work im replacing the rods and pistons and need to get the the rust out of the cylinder walls should i just use fine sand paper? does anyone have suggestions? also what head could i use if i cant find a b17a1 head? what would be best? The block has been sitting outside for like 3 - 4 months with a trash bag over it

denracho

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
holy moly rust batman... wat car is it from sir?

lsvtecEK4

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you need to re-build it with some overbore pistons and such. that much rust gonna take more then sand paper lol

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
take the block and take it to a machine shop and get them to bore it .25 over bore which will make it 81.25 bore. stock bore on the motor is 81 mm. Sand paper will make it uneven and the rings won't seat correctly on the wall and your motor will probably burn small amounts of oil and smoke. any old B series head will work. b16,b17,b18, they will all just bolt up. And your best bet to get the rest of the parts to make that motor fit in your car is to find a smashed DA integra or one with a blown motor and buy it. It will save you a ton of time and headaches finding parts.

90_EF9_VTEC

JDM D15B
5+ Year Member
take the block and take it to a machine shop and get them to bore it .25 over bore which will make it 81.25 bore. stock bore on the motor is 81 mm. Sand paper will make it uneven and the rings won't seat correctly on the wall and your motor will probably burn small amounts of oil and smoke. any old B series head will work. b16,b17,b18, they will all just bolt up. And your best bet to get the rest of the parts to make that motor fit in your car is to find a smashed DA integra or one with a blown motor and buy it. It will save you a ton of time and headaches finding parts.
yeah im just going to be figuring out how much money that machine shop will cost me

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
boring cylinders usually runs from $15-$40 a hole, and just get some oem .25 overbore p30 pistons and rods, you can get them really cheap.