Re-keying lock cylinders

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Anyone have experience re-keying Honda lock cylinders?

I have been unsuccessful finding a complete set of locks (both doors, and trunk), and i don't want 3 different keys.

I know it can be done, as I've re-keyed lots of other things (houses, other vehicles), but i can't find a good resource for procedure, tumbler size, etc.

The inability to lock my car, is the one thing preventing me from driving the civic more.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I have not and am also in the mind to seeing if this can be done.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
The process is pretty straight forward, but the issue is figuring out which wafers i need.
with wafers on hand, it's just a matter of trial and error to get the first one done.

Unfortunately there's lots of info out there about the "high security" key which were introduced around 2000, but not the older ones.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
No lie, I have NO IDEA WTF you are talking about :shock:

I have no experience with locks other than cutting them.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
No lie, I have NO IDEA WTF you are talking about :shock:

I have no experience with locks other than cutting them.
locks use a series of tumblers, activated by the ridges on the key.
some are pins, some are thin rectangles called wafers, and they come in different sizes.

it's just a matter of figuring out which ones your lock cylinder uses.
Then you swap them out, until they all line up perfectly with the new key.

Last edited:

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I picked up some lock picking tools and such from Hacksmith Industries recently.

5ubtle

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The process is pretty straight forward, but the issue is figuring out which wafers i need.
with wafers on hand, it's just a matter of trial and error to get the first one done.

Unfortunately there's lots of info out there about the "high security" key which were introduced around 2000, but not the older ones.
I have not done the civic, but it's not just trial and error. There will be some measurements that can be done on the key to determine which wafers are needed.