Valve Adjustment Problem '95 D15 B8

WillTravel

'95 D15 B8
At TDC #1 intake valve I've backed-off the adjustment screw as far as can go and I still can not squeeze in the .008 feeler gauge.
Anyone know what might be wrong?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
'95 D15 B8
At TDC #1 intake valve I've backed-off the adjustment screw as far as can go and I still can not squeeze in the .008 feeler gauge.
Anyone know what might be wrong?
Sounds like the rocker arm has grime locking up the adjustment. Or the rocker arm or lost motion assembly has failed somehow. Can you post a video?

WillTravel

Yeah, I'll post a photo tomorrow.
I just replaced the valve-stem seals, and then decided to adjust the valves after re-installing the rocker-arm assembly -- that's when I ran into this problem.
Suppose for a moment I have #4 at the TDC on the compression stroke instead of the #1 -- what would the valve clearance on #1 be in that situation?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Yeah, I'll post a photo tomorrow.
I just replaced the valve-stem seals, and then decided to adjust the valves after re-installing the rocker-arm assembly -- that's when I ran into this problem.
Suppose for a moment I have #4 at the TDC on the compression stroke instead of the #1 -- what would the valve clearance on #1 be in that situation?
Probobly zero. depends on what state the valve is in on #1 at that point. If there is any tension on the valve, clearance will be pretty close to 0.

Move #1 to TDC and repeat the adjustment process.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Zero is what I got on #1. IDK, maybe I have #4 instead of #1 on TDC compression by mistake.
#1 cylinder is closest to the timing belt.