Why is a JDM engine better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunz1015

NEWB
5+ Year Member
I'm very confused as to why a JDM engine is so much better than USDM. The B18C5 ITR engine is typically over $1000 more than a B18C1.

$3000 for Complete B18C1 w/ LSD
170@7600, 128@6200
http://www.bestofjdm.com/JDM-ENGINE-B18C-OBD2-96-01-p/jdmhonda4.htm

$4400 Complete JDM B18C5/R w LSD
195@8000 130@750
http://www.bestofjdm.com/COMPLETE-PACKAGE-JDM-ENGINE-B18C-R-LSD-98-p/jdmhonda7.htm

$1400 dollars can be used to create a lot more than 25 HP. I know that many of you just want to pay $1400 for it because it is JDM, but is it truly better taking into consideration the price.

Why does JDM make it better?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Usually (key word here is usually) JDM engines have lower miles on them. Something to do with cars being in accidents alot over in Japan (atleast so Ive heard/read). And usually, when you buy a JDM engine from a JDM engine seller, they come with a start up garuntee.

In all reality, JDM is no better than USDM engines. JDM engines may be more rare in certian parts of the US, but thats about it. Its all about the JDM 'Bling' going on these days.

ej_EXtasy

Big Dave
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Because you're comparing the GSR and the ITR, which are two different motors.

dunz1015

NEWB
5+ Year Member
Usually (key word here is usually) JDM engines have lower miles on them. Something to do with cars being in accidents alot over in Japan (atleast so Ive heard/read). And usually, when you buy a JDM engine from a JDM engine seller, they come with a start up garuntee.

In all reality, JDM is no better than USDM engines. JDM engines may be more rare in certian parts of the US, but thats about it. Its all about the JDM 'Bling' going on these days.
I agree with the bold underlined statement in this quote.

dunz1015

NEWB
5+ Year Member
Please stay on-topic.

I want to know if the extra $1400 for the B18C/R makes it that much better than the B18C1/GSR.

Slickcivic

No Low is Too Low
5+ Year Member
I would like to add that JDM engines have lower miles because the country of Japan is just small, which I think is the same size as a US state. The engines travel far less than the ones here in the US, which travel a lot of miles just to get you to a grocery store.

dunz1015

NEWB
5+ Year Member
Low mileage is a damn good point, but isnt a low mileage USDM motor just as good? Japan is OK, but I think a engine made in OHIO is probably just fine too. Please disagree with me if your point is valid and not beating a dead horse, i.e. low miles!

Slickcivic

No Low is Too Low
5+ Year Member
That is what we're saying. JDM engines are the same with USDM engines. There are no differences, SLIGHTLY, IF AT ALL. They are only better because they got low miles and that's it.

JDM = USDM/UKDM/EDM

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would like to add that JDM engines have lower miles because the country of Japan is just small, which I think is the same size as a US state. The engines travel far less than the ones here in the US, which travel a lot of miles just to get you to a grocery store.
Less miles, but they are alot of stop and go miles as well. Ane correct me if im wrong but the ITR has lighter/stronger rods and pistons.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
...and dual valve springs on the intake and exhaust side, better flowing head, higher compression, larger intake manifold, better header, most aggressive oem camshafts (in the 00-01 integra) and a bunch of other lil things. Yes the 1400 could be used to make some big improvements on the gsr, but you're also paying for those parts and a more rare engine. You also have to consider supply and demand.

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That is what we're saying. JDM engines are the same with USDM engines. There are no differences, SLIGHTLY, IF AT ALL. They are only better because they got low miles and that's it.

JDM = USDM/UKDM/EDM

Partially true, but false at the same time.

Many JDM engines have higher compression, better internals, etc.

A clean JDM motor will usually respond better to bolt on mods (header, intake, intake manifold, etc.) and light tuning because of the differences in the internals.

dunz1015, the name fits.

You sound like an absolute idiot. Why argue? People are going to buy JDM motors if they want to buy a JDM motor.

If you want to start that argument JDM vs USDM, why are you wasting $3000 on a GSR with less power than an H22 (usdm, or JDM) that you can get for $2100? You could get the Type S h22 for the same price as the GSR and have an additional (rated) 60hp, and gobs more torque over the GSR for the same price... Riddle me this oh mighty one. :roll:

fwdpower

No traction though.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

Cars don't exactly get in more accidents. Their emissions are a lot different, not necessarily stricter. They require a complete engine overhaul at certain engine mileage. I believe it's around 50k miles. People find it easier/cheaper to replace the whole engine, instead of replacing gaskets, pistons, rings, seals, bearings, etc.

So they end up with an influx of used engines. Awesome.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've always heard there's some sort of tax break to get rid of an "old car" and buy a new car in Japan. Thus the low miles.

SlowTEC

Initiate brain dump in...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think you should be comparing a USDM ITR to a JDM ITR or a USDM GSR to a JDM GSR with average prices for each (not just from one source) to get a better comparison.

Now, to answer your question. Why does it seem that most folks use JDM engines instead of USDM? More than likely, availability.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The only reason I had a JDM motor is because... I didn't know it was JDM until I went to go pick it up lol

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The low mileage because of their taxes in Japan. They put taxes on cars every year if it's older than 3 years, so the general public would just buy new cars instead to avoid taxes. This leaves them with a lot of used cars, which we here can import over, part out, etc.

dunz1015

NEWB
5+ Year Member
I want to thank everyone for not following PhntmSk8r's rude, and harassing demeanor. I gave him a piece of my mind in a PM,
"Your statement in regards to why JDM engines are better was un-called for.

"dunz1015, the name fits. You sound like an absolute idiot. Why argue?"

It is my 1st initial and the first 3 letters from my last name with my Bday . I don't care for your username but that doesn't give me the right to bash you. I'm going to report abuse and block you."

Perhaps the rest of you can tell him how he should act while on Clubcivic.com. Re-enforce good behavior. No one here should have to be told they are an idiot, even if you think they are.

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I want to thank everyone for not following PhntmSk8r's rude, and harassing demeanor. I gave him a piece of my mind in a PM,
"Your statement in regards to why JDM engines are better was un-called for.

"dunz1015, the name fits. You sound like an absolute idiot. Why argue?"

It is my 1st initial and the first 3 letters from my last name with my Bday . I don't care for your username but that doesn't give me the right to bash you. I'm going to report abuse and block you."

Perhaps the rest of you can tell him how he should act while on Clubcivic.com. Re-enforce good behavior. No one here should have to be told they are an idiot, even if you think they are.
you see, I do but then they cry about that. Perhaps maybe you shouldn't take e-comments so hard. talking about drama in your thread will just bring more. If you have a problem with someone's post, just report it. ;)

but with that being said....

:lock:

Status
Not open for further replies.