Window not going down

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
A family member just bought a 2012 Civic (sedan) and all the windows work normal except the right front window. The window will not roll down but it will roll up. I figured it may be a bad window motor so I opened the panel to test it. My test light turns on when I push the switch to roll up or down using both the master swtich and the passegner swtich (my test light is in place where the motor should be). I even placed my positive lead on my DMM to terminal 2 (blue wire) and negative to terminal 1 (red) at the right front window motor connector. I get +12V when going up and -12V when going down.

I figured it was a bad motor and replaced it but it still will not roll down. I then checked the old motor by giving it 12V manually and I can get it to go up and down, and the same with the new motor and regulator. However, when connected back to the car's wiring the window still will not roll down but only up. I was hoping yall could point me in the right direction because I am lost at this point.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Check the window guides and regulator assembly. Most likely is binding when attempting to go up. The window will go down near effortlessly thanks to gravity assisting but mostly that the regulator tend not to bind on the down motion.

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
Check the window guides and regulator assembly. Most likely is binding when attempting to go up. The window will go down near effortlessly thanks to gravity assisting but mostly that the regulator tend not to bind on the down motion.
Thanks but I don't think it is a window guide issue because the right front window will go up normally when the motor is connected to the car's wiring, but it will not roll down. Also, when I give the right front window motor power and ground through an outside 12V battery source, I can get the window to roll up or down just fine.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Thanks but I don't think it is a window guide issue because the right front window will go up normally when the motor is connected to the car's wiring, but it will not roll down. Also, when I give the right front window motor power and ground through an outside 12V battery source, I can get the window to roll up or down just fine.
Check the regulator....this is what will bind most of the time. When it binds enough its likely to also push or bend the guides. Seen this happen dozens of times.

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
Check the regulator....this is what will bind most of the time. When it binds enough its likely to also push or bend the guides. Seen this happen dozens of times.
Okay, but why would the motor and regulator assembly roll up and down through an outside 12V battery source completely fine but only roll up when connected to the car's wiring? I forgot to mention while I am giving the right front window motor and regulator assembly power at the connector separately it is installed in the car (my bad for not metinoning this).

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Check your amperage draw when applying the up and down function. You will need an ammeter to test this. You can also check the voltage drop at the battery when engaging the switch. If it is not drawing enough amps there could be very corroded connections at the junctions in the circuit. Clean those junctions shiny and new then repeat your test.

Make sure your battery connections are also clean, ESPECIALLY the ground cable. A corroded main ground cable can cause all the vehicles functions to be under powered, rather under grounded causing poor circuit continuity.