buick supercharger

coricivic

EF-Jordan
5+ Year Member
so i'm using a buick 3.8 supercharger on my b16a. i'm building a metal box on top withn piping going to the im. my question is does anyone think the sc will survive 8000 rpm?

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the supercharger is spinning a lot faster than the motor. thats how a positive displacement/roots type blower works. the pulley makes sure the s/c is spinning several times faster than the motor, what you have to be worried about is too much low end boost- surge- and very poor efficency at high rpm. i think that s/c is poorly matched to a honda motor, and while i dont know the exact specs on it i will say that you will more than likely be disappointed with the result. you should do some research, find out exactly what you have, how you are going to get a pully that will make it work properly, and if it will even do what you want it to. i think you're going to end up spending far more time and money than its worth, used jrsc's are dirt cheap and bolt on.

coricivic

EF-Jordan
5+ Year Member
the supercharger is spinning a lot faster than the motor. thats how a positive displacement/roots type blower works. the pulley makes sure the s/c is spinning several times faster than the motor, what you have to be worried about is too much low end boost- surge- and very poor efficency at high rpm. i think that s/c is poorly matched to a honda motor, and while i dont know the exact specs on it i will say that you will more than likely be disappointed with the result. you should do some research, find out exactly what you have, how you are going to get a pully that will make it work properly, and if it will even do what you want it to. i think you're going to end up spending far more time and money than its worth, used jrsc's are dirt cheap and bolt on.
i got the supercharger for free. i was going to get a custom crank pulley machined at a machine shop so i can run the supercharger. that and some metal is the only expense i'd have into it. it's not going to see 8 grande hardly ever cause i gotta drive an automatic cause i'm in a wheelchair due to breaking my neck back in 05'.

thanks for the info.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd be concerned about the belt staying on at 8K. That old L67 never sees 8000 rpm and your machine work on the bottom pulley and belt alignment is going to have to be pretty precise IMO. It's a pretty heavy undertaking for something that might not work.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i dont think its a good idea to drive a supercharged car with a broken neck, it just doesnt sound right..

EF Honda EF

You have a great idea, i have custom fabed a few things in my life time but nothing like this. Good luck man, hope it all turns out well.

ryanM

such a bad idea. i dont know how many newbs have came through here with M62 superchargers they got from the junkyard and want to put on their civics, it never gets done...and with good reason.

xzodiackillerx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it is made to spin the opposite way as a honda B16 so spinning it backwards will work but you will end up with a ton of heat and not a lot of boost... better luck selling it..

EF Honda EF

You have a great idea, i have custom fabed a few things in my life time but nothing like this. Good luck man, hope it all turns out well.

spoolinem1

All Motor No More Boost
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
good luck hope it works for you let us know and btw your a lot braver than me

coricivic

EF-Jordan
5+ Year Member
it is made to spin the opposite way as a honda B16 so spinning it backwards will work but you will end up with a ton of heat and not a lot of boost... better luck selling it..

does anyone know if this is true? if it is i'm not wasting my time.

xzodiackillerx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
does anyone know if this is true? if it is i'm not wasting my time.
a B16 spins counter clockwise you need to find out what way a Buick spins .. it is most likely clockwise like every other domestic.. but I may be wrong.

go to

www.theoldone.com and read everything on the site about supercharging I hope this helps

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a B16 spins counter clockwise you need to find out what way a Buick spins .. it is most likely clockwise like every other domestic.. but I may be wrong.

go to

www.theoldone.com and read everything on the site about supercharging I hope this helps

I think it does turn clockwise. :???: I know that the L67 is mounted 180 degrees opposite of a B16 (drive belt on the passeger side)