opinions! B vs H series

jbo

i would just like to hear everyones opinions on picking a swap to go such as a b18c vs h23 or even a k series
and would like to know why some may think one is better than another

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
The B Series motors have an enormous amoutn of aftermarket support and that alone makes them very popular among Honda enthusiasts.

The H Series ia a good motor however Honda engineered them with FRM sleeves. Fiber Reinforced Metal, this combination makes the sleeves incredibly hard. You would think, well thats a good thing. While it may seem great its the down fall of the H series motor. The FRM sleeves accelerate wear on the piston rings ad pistons themselves.

d16y7 98 dx

d16y7 98 dx
if you have the money and time. do a k20. if not, dont bother with the h series. the power will be there but its heavy and just not worth it. i have a friend who did a b16 swap and hated it. he said it was torqueless. he did a b18b1 swap after [LS teg motor] and loves it. he just boosted it. thats what im doing in mine eventually. boosted ls ftw

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
The difference in torque between the B16A and B18 is about 6ftlb LOL. They are both torqueless XD

96EJ6EX

It's a Honda. It's torqueless.

But the H-series are made out of a cast iron that is really heavy. The b-series are made out of a cast aluminum which is much lighter. There are alot of tuning parts for the B-series but there are less for the H-series. and there a little bit more expensive. I'd go with a GSR or ITR swap.

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
But the H-series are made out of a cast iron that is really heavy. The b-series are made out of a cast aluminum which is much lighter. There are alot of tuning parts for the B-series but there are less for the H-series. and there a little bit more expensive. I'd go with a GSR or ITR swap.
FALSE. Everything about what you just said is entirely wrong... please do not provide false information.

H blocks/heads are aluminum, just like all of the beloved B series. And there are just as many parts for H series as there are for B series. There just arent as many junk ebay special parts for them.

Seriously OP, not trying to be a d**k here but this subject has been BEATEN to death, brought back, and BEATEN again I don't know how many times. Do a little searching.

mahalo

formerly egninesallday
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
anybody got accurate stats on the h series motors weight. i heard they were like 20 pounds heavier? imo 20 pounds isnt much unless your making a track car. my buddy has a non vtec h23 that ate up my ls civic everytime.just my 2 cents

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
anybody got accurate stats on the h series motors weight. i heard they were like 20 pounds heavier? imo 20 pounds isnt much unless your making a track car. my buddy has a non vtec h23 that ate up my ls civic everytime.just my 2 cents
There's an entire thread about it on honda-tech somewhere. IIRC: the DRY weights of the two comparatively were 50lbs of difference.

But here's what i'm looking at (and i can/will get numbers/pictures to prove it)

A buddies boosted 00 SI, ls/vtec, and just as "gutted" as my car weighed around 2310-2320 with him in it and about half a tank.

My car (96ex), h23/vtec weighed in at 2350 with me in it and a full tank. The only real "weight savings" i have in my car, over his, is my CF hood (which is MAYBE 5-8lbs lighter than an OEM hood)

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i would just like to hear everyones opinions on picking a swap to go such as a b18c vs h23 or even a k series
and would like to know why some may think one is better than another
Your choice in motor selection should depend entirely on how you plan to use the car. Simply put, if you want a track car, go K-series or H-series if you're prepared to deal with the hassle. If you want more power and and acceleration for your daily driver, B-series, without question. The H and K series motors require more fabrication to place in a 6th-generation frame, but, if it's going to be a track car of any sorts, chances are this is acceptable. The B-series requires far less to integrate into the stock engine bay.

Also, food for thought from HondaSwap.com:

Non-recommended swaps (the H-series is among those as non-recommended for the 6th generation civics)

Pros and cons of an H22a swap (not a h23, I know, but for the sake of discussion, it's similar)

An H22/H23 longblock/head combo successfully installed in a 3rd generation Integra (not a pro/con article, but good reading for seeing what all is involved in integrating an H-series motor into a non-native body.)