Ignition Timing vs Mechanical Timing: I've got A LOT of questions

Nosepicker

5+ Year Member
I've been searching and reading up on other people's threads so please don't say, "Go search".

My knowledge is very basic but for argument sake let's say I'm a noob w/no knowledge because the following questions are going to sound very stupid and noobish.

First thing first, I got my timing belt kit and I plan on performing the job myself. I can do it if I have proper, basic, instructions.

So, let's move on to the questions:

#1: What is a mechanical timing? What exactly does this job entail? Is this a must if all I'm doing is replacing the timing belt, compressor belt, P/S belt, A/C belt, & water pump?

#2: How do I adjust the timing ignition? I understand I need to advance or retard the distributor or something like that. Is that correct? If so, how do I achieve this? I also understand I need to purchase a timing light but WTF do I do with the light? Shine it on the pulley/belt? What then? What am I looking for? Marks? Can't I see the marks using my flash light?

#3: My car is a D16Y7 (auto) and timing is stated at 12"+/-2....WTF does that mean?

Before you answer my questions, please give me step-by-step procedures or explanation cuz I'll tell you right now I'll ask more (dumb) questions.:lol: As mentioned I've read other threads and even looked at the diagrams but they are still not that clear to me.

TIA for all your help guys.

Indy_Civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would suggest you buy or download a service manual because as you progress, you will have more questions.

Nosepicker

5+ Year Member
I would suggest you buy or download a service manual because as you progress, you will have more questions.
I do have the service manual. And it is no different from what others are posting and attaching pics of. I guess I just need the explanation in between the directions. :lol:

RonJ

Banned
#1: What is a mechanical timing? What exactly does this job entail? Is this a must if all I'm doing is replacing the timing belt, compressor belt, P/S belt, A/C belt, & water pump?

The mechanical timing is maintained by the timing belt. In short, it synchronizes the camshaft and crankshaft so that the engine will work. Removal of the dreaded crankshaft bolt is a must and the hardest part of the timing belt job.

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/7-honda-civic-diys-civic-tech-chat/298572-diy-timing-belt-96-00-a.html

#2: How do I adjust the timing ignition? I understand I need to advance or retard the distributor or something like that. Is that correct? If so, how do I achieve this? I also understand I need to purchase a timing light but WTF do I do with the light? Shine it on the pulley/belt? What then? What am I looking for? Marks? Can't I see the marks using my flash light?

Yep:

#3: My car is a D16Y7 (auto) and timing is stated at 12"+/-2....WTF does that mean?

Just align the pointer with the red mark on the crank pulley.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the 12" +/-2 means its 12" plus or minus 2" meaning it could be 10",11",12", 13" or 14"

Nosepicker

5+ Year Member
Cool.

I just didn't want to get stumped and waste a whole weekend searching for answers if the damn thing doesn't run properly.

terd_civic

5+ Year Member
For ignition timing, if it runs good now, you can do this. Using a paint marker, marker, scribe, anything semi-permanent to Mark the dizzy. Before you do anything, use the marker to make a single line across where the dizzy and cylinder head meet, and that is a reference line to where it was before it was modified. Once done with the work, match the lines and you are done. Also remember to short out the 2 wires where the pcm i located.