Did i need the dowel pins for the head

xhonda1991x

97 civic ex... me and my dad put a new (used) head on my motor ran great for a week and now wont start and if it does start it blows ALOT of white smoke outta the tail pipe so it coolant in the cylinders... im reading on other threads that its because you need to have the dowel pins in the block or it wont seed right... plz help

KillaGuizEj8Si

Registered VIP
what did you do with the dowels that were in the head? they are also used to make sure that the HG aligns perfectly also did u you use a new head gasket or a used one , did u tighten the head down properly to the right torque, maybe the head you got is already warped when you purchase it

xhonda1991x

what did you do with the dowels that were in the head? they are also used to make sure that the HG aligns perfectly also did u you use a new head gasket or a used one , did u tighten the head down properly to the right torque, maybe the head you got is already warped when you purchase it
i have one of the dowel pins but not the other and i used a brand new one i tighten to 49lbs in the order it said the tighten, also i got the original head rebuilt so i should be good with that just gotta wait till friday

Trekk

Registered VIP
just curious did you torq the head in 3 passes? Yes you should have them in.

CO671

Registered VIP
Yes . I had to put them back in when I was doing a head-gasket change after the first start-up. The head needs to be aligned right with the block, you need a new gasket, and to torque the headbolts down in their order.