D16y7 Stock Airbox vs Cold Air Intake

dx_d16y7_98

Ok so i was just reading on another civic forum about how this guy claimed putting a cold air intake on his D16y7 killed his engine bay? whatever that means. I know its said that CAI 's maybe up 1hp. Which is believable :lol: but compared to the stock airbox which the inlet is about 2 inches from the passenger side fender, i dont really see much air getting to your motor. Do you think honda did that for fuel efficiency? My question is does anyone have problems with their CAI's? Do you think your CAI helped at all? I have a full exhaust kit on my 98 dx. More air+ More Fuel= Bigger Combustion (More hp)? Whats your input? I can hear my intake, i only did it so my motor can breathe :lol: What do you guys think?

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wont be any different either way, maybe 1hp if you are lucky. It doesnt matter if you have a full exhaust or not. I say get a cheap short ram with a good filter and call it a day. Its a honda after all...

CO671

Registered VIP
Ok so i was just reading on another civic forum about how this guy claimed putting a cold air intake on his D16y7 killed his engine bay? whatever that means. I know its said that CAI 's maybe up 1hp. Which is believable :lol: but compared to the stock airbox which the inlet is about 2 inches from the passenger side fender, i dont really see much air getting to your motor. Do you think honda did that for fuel efficiency? My question is does anyone have problems with their CAI's? Do you think your CAI helped at all? I have a full exhaust kit on my 98 dx. More air+ More Fuel= Bigger Combustion (More hp)? Whats your input? I can hear my intake, i only did it so my motor can breathe :lol: What do you guys think?
You're not getting more fuel unless you modify the injectors or ECU.
Let me tell you this right now, and if you doubt it, you'll end up going back to what I will say.
Intake, Headers, Exhaust do next to nothing to D-series engines, but add SOUND and AESTHETICS.
Also note, there are certain sensors that need to be in check, so again unless you modify the ECU or sensors, you won't be doing much to your engine

When using a Cold Air Intake, if driving in heavy rain or puddles, you risk the chance of hydrolocking (hydro=water, so waterlocking) your engine by flooding it with water instead of air because the Cold Air Intake hangs so low to the ground unless with a bypass valve.

When using headers or aftermarket exhaust manifolds, you'll need to make sure that if you have a primary O2 Sensor, that you get a bung welded into that header if not already. Again, unless you modify the ECU or sensors, you won't be having any gains but the car may run poorly.

When using catback exhausts, again, like the exhaust manifold/header there's a secondary O2 Sensor and is usually the most problematic one. If you don't modify the ECU or get a bung welded into the catback system you'll need to do so.

D-series engines are such small 4-cylinders. All these modifications do very little especially with a stock ECU, it's just the way Honda developed them. If you want power, rebuild and/or turbocharge it, or do a motor swap.

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My hatch did just fine with stock box. why waste money for somthing thats not going to give you much of anything.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why waste money for somthing thats not going to give you much of anything.
For a non Honda enthusiast, that sentence would eliminate owning/modifying any Honda for any reason.

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
For a non Honda enthusiast, that sentence would eliminate owning/modifying any Honda for any reason.
:P All I'm saying is that imo intakes are a bit of a waste having done it on my coupe. But thats just my opinion, yall can do whatever you wanna do

Trekk

Registered VIP
The DX/LX is a down draft intake, which has no real plenum chamber in it, that is why the air box sits right on top of it. Removing that, and adding a long pipe in its place might cause more loss of power then a gain. The only way that might be of little help, would be to leave the box in place, and hook a new tube to that. Then removed the filter from the box, or the end of the tube.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have this set up and the best thing you can do, is buy a k&n drop in air filter to replace the paper stock one and be done with it.