Head Gasket blown I think

KaiCivic

I’ve been having problems with overheating and pressure in my radiator and today I think I found my problem. I may have a blown head gasket, oil is coming out of my radiator when I was going to burp the system. Should I sell the car or replace the head gasket and get it resurfaced and all that? I only have 197,870 miles

Attachments

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
That is a pure tale-tale sign of a failed head-gasket.

It's a fairly easy job to do on your own. Parts are cheap and so is beer. One Saturday in the garage and your car will be back up and running. 100% fix the problem.

Sometimes you may not need to resurface (required if mating surfaces are outside the service limit, but requires a full teardown). Use a straight edge when you remove the cylinder head and measure the trueness of the block and head in multiple areas as imaged below.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
It's a fairly easy job to do on your own. Parts are cheap and so is beer. One Saturday in the garage and your car will be back up and running. 100% fix the problem.
Plus you get a new timing belt, water pump, and accessory belts in the process
Knock out almost all of the major maintenance items in one go.

major selling points, if you decide not to keep it afterward.

refreshingblueberry

Dude, that sucks. 197k isn't a lot, but head gasket jobs are pricey! How much is your car worth to you vs what a shop would charge? If it was me, I'd probably try to DIY.