How to force fuel pump to run continuously w/o engine running?

5ubtle

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Long time lurker, first post.

Re: 1997 Civic HX

How can I force the fuel pump to run continuously w/o engine running? Is it possible? I am thinking that maybe the 'fuel pump relay' could be removed and then a wire could be used to jumper the power across it. Any other easier ways?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Long time lurker, first post.

Re: 1997 Civic HX

How can I force the fuel pump to run continuously w/o engine running? Is it possible? I am thinking that maybe the 'fuel pump relay' could be removed and then a wire could be used to jumper the power across it. Any other easier ways?
Would not recommend it, as the pump would eventually overheat and fail if the fuel level is low enough. Believe it or not but the fuel also acts as coolant for the fuel pump.

Most of all, why are you wanting to do this? What problem are you experiencing?

5ubtle

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
@nd4sped Thanks for the response and for your concern for my fuel pump. I will tell you that I know about the fuel keeping the pump cool.

I will make you (or any member) a deal. I will provide you with a good reason for doing this if you will first promise to tell me the secret of how to easily achieve it.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Realistically, all you have to do is provide power to the pump.
run a wire with a switch from the battery, and connect it to the pump.

based on a Quick look at the service manual, there's only 2 connections on the fuel pump.
the Yellow/Green wire receives power from the relay.

flip the switch, and the pump should run.
:scurred:

5ubtle

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
@Brak Thanks for the response. I will do that if I have to. I am looking for something easier. I have a 95 Ford Probe with a diagnostic connector in the engine bay. Jump 2 pins in that connector and the fuel pump comes on. Something like that.

I just want to get the gas out of the car to use in my generator. This isn't a permanent modification. According to the service manual, there is a "battery voltage" pin and a pin "directly to the fuel pump" at the PGM-FI relay. I just need to remove the relay and jump those 2 pins in the connector.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
If you are unable to do what @Brak mentioned, you can also just manually drain it with a hose. Might get a little gas in your mouth sucking the air out of the tube. You can either fish a tube down the filler neck or pull the pump/cover off and put your hose in the tank that way.