Brak's 98 EX

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Making me miss making long form threads. I might have to do this in conjunction to my Civic videos. Might help bring new members to CC and old ones back.
:beer:
Posting here is kind of like therapy. I can rant about something stupid, which is only an issue to a pedant like me.
Videos are great for entertainment, but nobody wants to sit and listen to someone ramble for 30 minutes about bad wiring.

Maybe i'm old, but I still believe forums are the superior format.
Facebook groups (or the like), are fine for buying and selling, or getting quick answers, but they're garbage when it comes to archiving knowledge on a dedicated subject.

People want shorter videos now days, so i think it makes perfect sense to continue the detailed log here, and do a shorter high level video eventually.
those that want to know the dirty details, can come read them here. Those that don't care, don't have to.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Tested the actuator today, and it seems to be bad.
I spent an hour trying to remove it from the door, but it seems the entire window needs to come out.
Ain't nobody got time for that.

I did however pull the lock cylinder, so i can at least get that replaced...
Looks like this has mostly been a waste of time.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I did however pull the lock cylinder, so i can at least get that replaced...
Looks like this has mostly been a waste of time.
I now have to do this on the CRV. Some cunt tried to get into the CRV as the rear AND driver side lock cylinders are knocked into the door. Completely dislodged from the handle. :angryred:

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
I now have to do this on the CRV. Some cunt tried to get into the CRV as the rear AND driver side lock cylinders are knocked into the door. Completely dislodged from the handle. :angryred:
OH DAMN! That sucks...

If it's anything like the civic, it's relatively easy to get the lock cylinder out, you just need to remove one bolt, then pull the hidden retaining clip out of the bottom.
lock pops right out.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
That being said, i had a pleasant surprise when i pulled my drivers lock.

Disassembly was much easier than i anticipated, and upon inspection, i learned, there was a key broken off inside.

Took a bit of creativity, but i managed to get the key out.

Turns out, my destroyed lock, works perfectly. well, about as good as it did before the jackoffs got their grubby mitts all over it.

I still plan to re-key the car, since the only key i have is an extremly worn out, bad copy, of dubious origin...

I've identified the wafer design which is required, now it's just a matter of tracking them down.

Back when i first bought the car, i had the stealership make a fresh key based off the VIN.
That's how i discovered the door and ignition locks had been changed. the real key only worked in the valet locks (seat back, and trunk lever).

i'd like the correct key to work in everything... eventually....
but as for now, i can finally lock my car again, and that's all that matters.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
OH DAMN! That sucks...

If it's anything like the civic, it's relatively easy to get the lock cylinder out, you just need to remove one bolt, then pull the hidden retaining clip out of the bottom.
lock pops right out.
Ya I have replaced door handles in the Civic and CRV before. Sucks we cant have anything nice.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Small victory, but i can actually lock my car for the first time since 2018....

I had to give in, and just temp fix the messed up harness for now.
door controller needs power after all.

Now i can lock the drivers door with the key, and the passenger door auto locks in response...
as it was in the before times...

Of course, once i got everything buttoned up, i realized i never fully tightened the 10mm bolts on the outer handle
:smackself

Hopefully finger tight is good enough until i'm prepared to replace the actuator.

I'm at a point, where i almost trust this car to be a daily again.
need to address noises in front suspension next.