Should i restore my 95 civic?

XtraDimensional

It has a D16z6
5 speed transmission.
front and back disk breaks.
it also was in a fender bender i rear ended some one not too hard but it tweaked my core support.
i have had the car for seven years now, when i bought it, it said it had 490,000 miles:shock: I know right?
Anyhow the seller said the engine really had around 50,000 miles but i am not sure if it was a new engine or a rebuild or what? an i have no way to confirm what he said was true.
Now it says it has 530,000 miles but is stuck between 5 and 6 so it almost looks like 630,000 miles :shock: i know its freaking weird, i can post pics if i get enough responses.
It still runs and the main problems with her are all essentially suspension (inner outer tie rods, and bad control arm bushing)
What are your thoughts?

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
will likely need a rebuild on the engine at some point, but as long as everything still works and you keep everything maintained, why not drive the wheels off of it? Not like they're making any more 95 EGs

bzzt

I say fix it up and get it back on the road!
My daughter just bought a '95 with 368,000 miles on it but the seller said the engine has 150,000. I don't know how you would tell either but as long as it doesn't smoke, rattle, or leak it's fine with me!

cuetip

Registered VIP
do it man, drop another z6 in it, or rebuild that one, and pix would help to

XtraDimensional

Posting pictures, thanks for the reply's!

I also was rear ended and the rear steel bumper is bent, sure it isn't anything to major though, since they're meant to take impact. i have the rear bumper cover off.

Here is my tweaked core support.

Interior

Odometer

So right off the bat i think it need new.
. Core Support
. hood
. front/rear bumper covers
. fenders
. new head lights, old ones are foggy kinda, and have a cracked support.

Those things would almost be purely cosmetic, if it weren't for the core support.
Then mechanically it needs a new left lower control arm (not bent, just bad bushing)
Probably new inner and outer tie rods as well. still compiling my list though.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
it has 600k miles? god damn

XtraDimensional

How can i find out if these rear and front end collisions f'ed my frame up?
Is it possible that it could have bent my whole frame??

bzzt

After seeing the pictures I changed my mind. You need to drive it off a cliff.

Just kidding! I'd drive it just so I could brag about it having over half a million miles. :cool:

bzzt

but would you restore it?
Not to showroom condition but I'd replace the mechanical things first. The parts that you mentioned plus piston rings, rod bearings, gaskets, bushings, etc. then probably give it a cheap paint job after the rear bumper is on. The interior looks great as-is.

XtraDimensional

Not to showroom condition but I'd replace the mechanical things first. The parts that you mentioned plus piston rings, rod bearings, gaskets, bushings, etc. then probably give it a cheap paint job after the rear bumper is on. The interior looks great as-is.
yes this is where i was thinking i would start, i need random things though too like the passenger side windshield trim (whipped off my car one day driving down the road), door sashes, etc.
Do you know if these fender benders ive been in could have tweaked the whole frame of the car?

bzzt

yes this is where i was thinking i would start, i need random things though too like the passenger side windshield trim (whipped off my car one day driving down the road), door sashes, etc.
Do you know if these fender benders ive been in could have tweaked the whole frame of the car?
Found this on the web...

Every car has a number of points along the frame that are used as baseline measurements for body shops to determine if a frame is bent or damaged. Most cars can have this determined by picking a hole or bolt head that is on both the right and left sides of the front of the car on the bottom of the frame, and find another twin set of points at the rear of the car. Measure from the left front point to the right rear point, and note the measurement. Now measure from the right front point to the left rear point. If these measurements are not exactly the same within like a 16th of an inch (give a little for flex over time) then your frame is most likely bent. On a unibody car (where the frame is not a seperate piece), the frame is also part of the body, so any change in body lines, door/hood/trunk gaps, or creases in the underbody would also be indicative of structural damage.