what do you think?

krooked32

New info from the seller! Right rear quarter panel has small amount of bondo, probably due to rust. Small dent in the front bumper support , no bending, welds, or displacement in radiator support or surrounding metal. small dent in the oil pan, no crack or leak just dented. Regardless of his inspection im still going to tear this thing apart and make sure its all sound. If he lets me ill take pictures and post them as i go along throughout my inspection if i have any questions or concerns and see what you guys think.

antie22

i
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im in to see the outcome of this... :thumbs upbest of luck to your possible purchase

emerican

Registered VIP
me to man i want it to be sunday or whenever your going to see it so i can know how mint it really was and if you get it what u pay for it lol.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Starting with $4k like Decipher said is the best route to go...

You'll have a mechanic at hand to check out the mechanics obviously... but does your mechanic know a lot about body work as well? If so, then you're good to go with the inspection... If not, then I'd recommend you have another "body" guy come a long with you. Sure you can point out the obvious bondo here, dent there, and etc... but a true body man should be able to tell you the condition of the chassis by look, feel, and knock (yes, they knock on panels and what not to check to see if it's been bondo'd or welded back together with a different material).

Other than that, the car looks good... Good luck with the purchase!

krooked32

Yup! got the body guy covered, i went to highschool with a vocational Autobody program so ive learned and i worked a body shop for about 3 years. I've got some but not all the knowledge but ill be taking my body guy as well just incase i miss things that he will pick up. Im excited! thanks for all the input guys, knew this was the right place to ask opinions and get some pointers on this purchase.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP

its a LS swapped hatch

I wouldnt expect to sell my coupe with zero rust and zero accidents WITH my B20 turbo build for 5k

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Starting with $4k like Decipher said is the best route to go...

You'll have a mechanic at hand to check out the mechanics obviously... but does your mechanic know a lot about body work as well? If so, then you're good to go with the inspection... If not, then I'd recommend you have another "body" guy come a long with you. Sure you can point out the obvious bondo here, dent there, and etc... but a true body man should be able to tell you the condition of the chassis by look, feel, and knock (yes, they knock on panels and what not to check to see if it's been bondo'd or welded back together with a different material).

Other than that, the car looks good... Good luck with the purchase!

Just to explain that one a little better. It's fairly simple if you have a good ear. Take your car key and go to a normal problem area for the car. like the wheel wells and rockers. LIGHTLY tap the panel. You don't want to damage anything. If its a metal repair you will hear a ping. If it's a bondo quick fix you will hear more of a thud.

krooked32

heading up there now. gonna check out a b20 hatch, gsr coupe, and EM1 all along the way. Hopefully today results in one of the above coming home with me! keep you guys posted

krooked32

just saw the gsr coupe. soooo messed up i wouldnt have paid a grand. destroyed windshield, wires all over etc. now im going to see a 96 b20 hatch for 3500. then a black bone stock em1. hopefully those are much better...

krooked32

well, my two hour drive resulted in dissapointment.
green ls hatch woudnt move off 5 grand for a car that isnt worth maybe 4200.
gsr coupe = s**t. 4000 for a junkyard shell with a molested gsr spewing oil and a couple ticking valves
b20 hatch = almost s**t. cracked windshield, no ac no powersteering and destroyed interior but the b20 was super fresh. so its a maybe at this point assuming the em1 is crap or i find something else.
didnt get to see the EM1 today but he said he will let it go for 4500 if i can make the drive again next weekend. if it really is a nice em1 then ill buy it. i just hate dealing with people in florida, liars, time wasters, and gold diggers.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well sorry you had a hard time, keep looking & you will find something, don't just settle for something that's not worth it.

krooked32

yeah it took me 7 months to find my ej8. im still sad about losing it. but hopefully the em1 turns out to be just the right buy. plus i really miss my coupe so it should feel right at home, with quite a bit more oomph than my ej haha. idk, ill keep you guys posted!

krooked32

finally got pics of the em1. hes talking 4700 flat for the car. lowered on idk what, some sort of exhaust, and full motor rebuild done at a machine shop with reciepts. getting interior / bay pictures in a little. then gonna start posting what i can when i get them all off my phone. What do you guys think? $4,700 for a plane jane 99 SI, no accidents. 156k on the chassis and 4k on the rebuild.