Soon2bsick Vtec

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Valve cover, valve cover, paint, paint, paint! Then pics, pics, pics! Hope this boosts Picasso mode.

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
Valve cover, valve cover, paint, paint, paint! Then pics, pics, pics! Hope this boosts Picasso mode.
haha just finished painting, everything is drying at the moment. I did the battery stay, the other U shaped stay, valve cover and intake tube.

I will NEVER EVER paint an intake tube again. What a PAIN.! its scratched all to crap when putting all the pieces back on it. But I did touch ups (still looks like poo) but Its not too bad, next time I will just have it powder coated because I have a feeling every time I work in the engine bay I will have to do touch ups on the stupid thing. I also decided to get rid of the 45 degree bend it had at the end of it, just didn't seem necessary because it fits in the engine bay just fine without it and more bends = less suction.

battery stay and the other stay thing turned out pretty awesome, with that metal cast stuff its better to just spray adhesion promoter instead of primering and thats what I did with those pieces, however I did lay down a coat of the metalcast base first , it has a silver top and its basically metallic flakes in a spray can.. looks pretty sweet. But when I got to the valve cover I had to primer it because of the grinding we did last night, laid down a base coat of the silver metallic stuff and my nozzle jammed up and then spurted out chunks of that crap and it looked terrible so I had to sand it all back down and start again

The valve cover has been a pain and a half but I'm pleased with how it came out, it's not perfect but it looks good for doing it myself, I will be ordering some stickers to lay down on this stuff so they don't look so boring

OH yeah...and pics... I'll have some in a bit :D

emerican

Registered VIP
Looking forawrd to the pics man.
i can imagine the intake tub would be a huge pain in the ass you got more patience then me,

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Can't wait to see pics, sounds like you had fun, That intake tube may have needed 3 coats of clear & dry overnight, I know it's a pain to wait when the can say quick dry paint but that's a better way to go on that piece IMO.

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
Painting Pictures

Here you go guys,

What I started with

Metallic Base Coat

End Result

What I started with,

Primered

Metallic Base coat

Laid down some purple

and hated it lol so painted over it

starting of blue coats

taped off and black coated

end result

has its flaws but I'm pleased over all

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
alright so, got everything installed again and I have to say I HATE the way the intake looks lol I thought maybe the white, blue, purple and black theme could flow but I was wrong. The intake looks ridiculous and throws everything off, and so does the purple stay, so those are going to get changed...to what I don't know but to something.

However the valve cover looks awesome in my opinion, I thought my NGK blue wires would make it not flow and be too much blue but I love it.

I must say, after the new header, new spark plugs, wires and removing the 45 degree bend in my air intake, this thing has ALOT more go (oh and I replaced 2 of the ground wires for the big 3 upgrade, doing battery negative tomorrow). I can get to a much higher RPM for it bogs for a shift now, very pleased with the response to the new setup. I can't wait to get the oil changed and new tranny fluid and my new shifter.

Anyways, here are some pics of the end result

Don't look at the intake and purple crap... I know it looks out of place and it will get changed

I got my shift light in the mail today :D

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wow, that valve cover looks good with the wires, wish I had blue wires, paint the other stay blue too, it will look good IMO, also paint the intake blue or maybe gunmetal, personal preference I guess but looking good, it's coming together.

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
Wow, that valve cover looks good with the wires, wish I had blue wires, paint the other stay blue too, it will look good IMO, also paint the intake blue or maybe gunmetal, personal preference I guess but looking good, it's coming together.
eh the intake tube would be too much blue, only way I could get away with it is if it were a different blue.

I don't know.. thought about doing it black but black = heat and it would kind of dull it out

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
eh the intake tube would be too much blue, only way I could get away with it is if it were a different blue.

I don't know.. thought about doing it black but black = heat and it would kind of dull it out
Try to match the color of the wires, that would be cool & help tie it together.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol i would of kept the purple intake. lol thats just me though. i like purple. blue would look good, but your bay needs a shine and some minor tucking lol

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
Looking pretty good man glad to hear its got more power to her.
thanks man, waiting on the rest of my parts to come in so I can keep working on it. I need to get the oil changed and my shift light hooked up, and I need to figure out why the heck my vtec light still wont work

so far I am waiting on

front upper strut bar
front mugen style lip
rear type r style lip
steering wheel/hub

and tonight I just ordered b&m short shifter and urethane bushings, I went with the dual bend. Still debating about the shift knob, I live here in sunny florida and I'm afraid it would be hot as crap in the summer

emerican

Registered VIP
I hear ya on the waiting on parts im waiting for 50/50 99 si taillights to throw on my car.
I wouldnt do the metal shift knob i know they are hell in GA in the summer burn the s**t out of your hand trying to shift.
where did you get the lip and how much did you give for it if you dont mind me asking may be looking to get one soon.

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
I hear ya on the waiting on parts im waiting for 50/50 99 si taillights to throw on my car.
I wouldnt do the metal shift knob i know they are hell in GA in the summer burn the s**t out of your hand trying to shift.
where did you get the lip and how much did you give for it if you dont mind me asking may be looking to get one soon.
ebay! haha. I paid $40 for the front and $45 for the back, I couldn't bring myself to drop $120 on a piece of plastic trimming

emerican

Registered VIP
Yeah ebay is defintly the route im taking so i will have at least the front lip by next payday. I did a little reading up on them and ebay lips are fine as long as you get the ones made of PU and not abs plastic as abs will crack easily.
Are you going to paint match them or leave them black?

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
I got the front one in abs and the rear is poly so we will see lol

I will paint to match,

Ive got about $70 left and no idea what to buy. I don't want to buy headlights/tail lights until after my car gets painted

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah ebay is defintly the route im taking so i will have at least the front lip by next payday. I did a little reading up on them and ebay lips are fine as long as you get the ones made of PU and not abs plastic as abs will crack easily.
Are you going to paint match them or leave them black?
you are correct. the abs will not bend at all or take hits like a PU lip. PU is much much more durable

emerican

Registered VIP
^ thanks was looking into it at like two in the morning couldnt remember half of what i read about them.
Soon2bsick I hope that front lip works out for you even though its abs plastic if the roads you ride arent that bad you should be ok.