Gas Prices...

DirtyD

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
f**k it Hancock can go over to the AUE with a couple ginormous tanks and just take it.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Okay... this is weird. So I've been driving carefully, staying at the speed limit or within five miles per hour of the last two tanks.

I've been getting 35-36 mpg by doing this.

Today I went to the Beaverton, OR Honda-Tech meet. I left my house and got to the gas station in town just to find that I'd forgotten my wallet at home, so I had to race home while Eran, my boyfriend, waited at the gas station and grabbed something to eat.

I got back to the gas station, filled up and we went to the meet. We both gassed back up once we got back home.

Somehow on that first half a tank I got 3.735 mpg. Not far over my recent average, but not what I was expecting.

Then it gets weird though. For my trip to the meet we averaged 75-80 mph. The trip back we went closer to 60-70 mph. I got 41.25 mpg for that half a tank.

I'm still surprised. My car's a '98 EX coupe, manual btw. It needs a tune up still (wires still have never been changed in five years since I've had it, could use an oil change and some new plugs, maybe a cap and rotor for the first time in five years too).

Maybe I should just go 80 everywhere. :P

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
alot of conditions get factored in to really know for sure. but its proven you get much better mileage going 55mph compared to 65+ where it can decrease by 5mpg or more. maybe the wind was blowing you along, or the temp was different, or you just got better gas. idk. my car has gotten anywhere between 15mpg to 42 mpg. im doing a test right now trying not to accelerate above 3k rpms with mostly city driving. so far i have around 200 miles and im not even at the 1/2 line. im also gonna be trying a few more tricks including the halo spark plugs for $40 (http://www.lsgbrisk.com/) and switching to 0W20 honda hybrid oil next time (non synthetic) instead of the 5w20 i normally use.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
alot of conditions get factored in to really know for sure. but its proven you get much better mileage going 55mph compared to 65+ where it can decrease by 5mpg or more. maybe the wind was blowing you along, or the temp was different, or you just got better gas. idk. my car has gotten anywhere between 15mpg to 42 mpg. im doing a test right now trying not to accelerate above 3k rpms with mostly city driving. so far i have around 200 miles and im not even at the 1/2 line. im also gonna be trying a few more tricks including the halo spark plugs for $40 (http://www.lsgbrisk.com/) and switching to 0W20 honda hybrid oil next time (non synthetic) instead of the 5w20 i normally use.
I've never gotten anything close to 15mpg. There would have to be something very wrong for that to happen to my car.

I had some crosswinds and a lot of ruts in the ground and headwinds coming back home, but that's all. I've gotten gas from this station and chain in the past (the other regular store being about a mile down the road - probably the same gas). It was sunny and warm today. Hot in the sun even. Probably one of the nicer days as of the last few, but we've had some decent weather lately too.

My miles are usually mostly highway too btw.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
did you lead or follow?

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
also the warmer the weather, the better the mileage. less air per unit area = less fuel the computer puts in. thats why short ram intake>cold air for gas mileage.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
did you lead or follow?
I didn't even think of that. lol I followed.

The first trip I didn't follow (no one drove with me any of that time). The trip to Beaverton I followed though.

Now Eran's going to be mad. He gets worse gas mileage than I do.

He says I suck. :lol:

Guess I'll have to lead next time.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
also the warmer the weather, the better the mileage. less air per unit area = less fuel the computer puts in. thats why short ram intake>cold air for gas mileage.
<-- stock air box. SRI killed low end. CAI got stolen. Dislike both by now and would have rather I never had the SRI.

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
.... gas makes me sad.

4.57 for 87...

sigh...

Show Me Them Titties
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
today was the 1st time i ever spent over $40 in one stop at the gas station.. only 8 and 1/2 gallons was like $41 and some change... bad times