Soon2bsick Vtec

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
so replacing the gasket was easy, not positive yet if its fixed it but its on none the less.

So then I notice a piece of what looks like a gasket laying up under the header

I've been noticing a lawn mower type noise from the engine bay so I pulled the heat shield off and found a nice big ole crack

soo... I'm not positive what to do about it yet

zboyracer

5+ Year Member
That totally sucks about your header! I'm sure if you wanted to be super cheap about it you could take it to an exhaust shop and have them weld it back up, or you could try and see if JB weld would work on it. Not sure. You could look into a Megan Racing Header. Probably nowhere near as good as the DC's and other name brand ones, but I'm sure it would get the job done and do it a lot better than the ebay headers would.

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
That totally sucks about your header! I'm sure if you wanted to be super cheap about it you could take it to an exhaust shop and have them weld it back up, or you could try and see if JB weld would work on it. Not sure. You could look into a Megan Racing Header. Probably nowhere near as good as the DC's and other name brand ones, but I'm sure it would get the job done and do it a lot better than the ebay headers would.
yeah I'm looking at some off brand ones (not ebay though) and the megan as well. I was told it could be welded up but eh I might as well change it. I can ask for one since my bday is coming up but I just need to decide on one

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a shift light and a monster tach I would sell cheap..

Looks like the car is coming along nicely!

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so replacing the gasket was easy, not positive yet if its fixed it but its on none the less.

So then I notice a piece of what looks like a gasket laying up under the header

Looks like a denture, LOL! Did someone lose their teeth?

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
Looks like a denture, LOL! Did someone lose their teeth?
lol dude to be honest I have no idea what this is exactly, I just know when the heat shield was being pulled off it fell out and its metal and flat and resembles part of a header gasket.

so I've been getting mixed opinions about the header thing, some said go to a u pull and get an OEM one from the junk yard.... but that seems like a waste of time since it would be like $60 or so for a rusted piece of junk that would probably cost me more in pb blaster to get off than it's worth.

I can get this one shipped to me for $111

http://www.slickcar.com/productdetails.asp?ProductID=10954

and this one shipped for $126

http://www.slickcar.com/productdetails.asp?ProductID=10947

I can get this megan one shipped for $130 but I have no idea about the legitimacy of the website

http://www.hondageneration.com/Megan_Racing_Header_Honda_Civic_88_00_4_2_p/mr-ssh-d16-92civic.htm

:what:

emerican

Registered VIP
DC is garbage same size as stock everybody i know that has gotten one has been disapointed.

Did you get my response to which type and style of header you should get 4-2-1 and stainless

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
or ceramic. got me a bosal brospeed ceramic for $100. but off a friend

emerican

Registered VIP
That was what he was asking on another thread was stainless vs ceramic which was better to get. The only headers that my friends have had that where name brand and cracked where ceramic ones. So i would say go stainless, but thats just me.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well mine isnt cracked so idk lol more of a preferance deal i think

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
Got my #74 socket in the mail today so I can finish the dang gauges, It worked so I guess later on I will need to replace all the sockets. Fun part was when I went to pull it out of the back of the gauges and the bulb fell inside the gauge housing and I had to shake it out ha

the #194 bulb is definitely brighter than the others lol but it doesn't look too bad. I like the clean cool white look, I'll try to get a pic of them tonight when it gets dark out. I ran the motor for about 20 minutes or so, so far no oil leak so..crossing fingers that it's fixed but if not... on to the next thing!

wasn't able to get anything done with painting today because it was gloomy..sunny..rained...gloomy..sunny..rained. Not the best painting weather so I didn't even bother pulling the door panels off, but here's a looksie on the back panels that are done *ignore the door panels*

still haven't decided on a header, I'm not a fan of websites that don't respond to your emails within a considerable time so I'm not sure where I am going to order from

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Got my #74 socket in the mail today so I can finish the dang gauges, It worked so I guess later on I will need to replace all the sockets. Fun part was when I went to pull it out of the back of the gauges and the bulb fell inside the gauge housing and I had to shake it out ha

the #194 bulb is definitely brighter than the others lol but it doesn't look too bad. I like the clean cool white look, I'll try to get a pic of them tonight when it gets dark out. I ran the motor for about 20 minutes or so, so far no oil leak so..crossing fingers that it's fixed but if not... on to the next thing!

wasn't able to get anything done with painting today because it was gloomy..sunny..rained...gloomy..sunny..rained. Not the best painting weather so I didn't even bother pulling the door panels off, but here's a looksie on the back panels that are done *ignore the door panels*

still haven't decided on a header, I'm not a fan of websites that don't respond to your emails within a considerable time so I'm not sure where I am going to order from

The back looks good! I might be doing this soon, my LED's in my cluster have different brightnesses from the #194 to the #74 so I may just open it up to find ways to refract the LED's so they look brighter & more even or find some new regular bulbs.

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
the brightness splotches don't bother me much, I do wish the gauge needles were easier to see though.. I don't understand why they're not orange or something to make them more visible.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the brightness splotches don't bother me much, I do wish the gauge needles were easier to see though.. I don't understand why they're not orange or something to make them more visible.
the 2 bulbs on the top shine down on the needles so they can be seen at night but LED's don't help because there is a built in blue filter in the top, I might take it completely apart to see what I can do, if not I found new incandescent blubs that are brighter than the factory bulbs for .49 a piece from here...

#74 GE Replacement Bulbs

I wonder what kind of bulb goes in the auto shifter? I need to change that one too.

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
hmm I would google it and see, chances are it's the #74 bulb.

the top bulb on the left hand side of mine isn't working I don't think... hold on I'm gonna go video it lol

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Take a look at this...

This is the problem I am having, I want it uniform, that's why I bought all of the bulbs from the same person thinking they might all be the same type of white.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your going to probably have this problem with led's since they are directional. They are different then Halogen bulbs. You need a certain type of LED for this

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
yeah you have to make sure you get wide beam (120 degree or so), I assumed the #194 in mine would be brighter or dimmer but mine are all cool white. I just need to fix that one dang light up top so I can see my gauge needles again

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I got them from autolumination.com, & they are all supposed to be white, I replaced 8 bulbs total, 7 #74 & 1 #194, the one behind the gas gauge looks really dim for an LED, I'm gonna send these back & replace them with 120 degree LED's in white, maybe that will fix my problem, just need to pop in my old bulbs till I get the new ones, I still need one twist to replace my trunk open since I pulled it for my CEL.